Monogen Powder 400g
Monogen is a nutritionally complete, low fat, powdered feed containing whey protein, carbohydrate, fat (low in long chain triglycerides (LCT"s) and high in medium chain triglycerides (MCT"s)), vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
Indications and Prescribability
Monogen can be recommended for use in infants as a sole source of nutrition or as a supplementary feed for children for the dietary management of the following conditions:
1. Hyperlipoproteinaemia type 1.
2. Long chain fatty acid oxidation defects (LCFAODs).
3. Intestinal lymphangectasia.
4. Chylothorax (some patients may require lower long chain fat).
5. Intractable malabsorption with steatorrhoea.
The level of essential fatty acids in Monogen is designed to meet minimum requirements due to the varying severity of presentation of LCFAODs where there can be minimal tolerance of LCT. Patients should have their essential fatty acid status monitored and supplemented if tolerated.
Use under medical supervision. Not for parenteral use. Not suitable for use as a sole source of nutrition, unless indicated in the product description. Flavouring is not recommended for infants less than six months.
Preparation & Administration
The recommended feed concentration is 17.5% w/v (17.5g Monogen made up to 100mls with water). Each level scoop (5g) of Monogen requires 25mls to yield the recommended feed concentration of 17.5%.
For preparation of infant formula:
THE HEALTH OF THE INFANT DEPENDS ON CAREFULLY FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS FOR PREPARATION AND USE. INCORRECT PREPARATION CAN MAKE THE BABY ILL.
When preparing infant feed, please follow the guidelines below:
1. Wash hands thoroughly and clean the preparation area. Sterilise bottles and teats (if using).
2. Boil fresh water for five minutes and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes so that it feels warm to the wrist. Pour the required amount of water into a sterilised feeding bottle.
3. Fill the scoop provided with infant formula and level off with a clean dry knife. Do not press the powder into the scoop. Only use the scoop provided.
4. Add the prescribed number of scoops of infant formula to the water. Replace the cap on the bottle and shake until powder is dissolved. Before feeding, ensure that the formula is at the correct temperature by placing a few drops on the wrist.
5. Formula remaining in the bottle after one hour of feeding should be discarded. Formula must not be rewarmed during feeding.
Important notice: Powdered infant formula is not sterile. Infant formula should be prepared immediately prior to feeding and any remaining formula should be discarded if not used within one hour.
For preparation for older children:
1. Weigh out Monogen
2. Add a small amount of the water prescribed
3. Stir with a fork until a smooth paste is formed
4. Continue stirring whilst adding the rest of teh prescribed amount of water
Once reconstituted, store in a refrigerator and use within 24 hours.